Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Life Means Love and Caring

I am embarking on the next phase of my life.  I am finally returning to my little half-double home in Wilson, Pennsylvania.  The little home I raised my children in and where I nurtured my gardens.  My home that saw the passing of treasured pets: Sylvester, Santa Claws , Miss Maddie and precious little Chocolate Chip.  I took Doodles with me to Califon in 2007, she passed away in 2008 never to return to her home in Wilson again.  My home in Wilson is a tiny house full of big memories.

Tommy would come to Wilson so often.  He would notice when something needed repair long before I would, and he would make the repair.  When he arrived with an 8  pack of bottles of beer I knew it was pizza night.  We would watch the old movies on Turner Classic Movies  because it is fun to see the past and enjoy some of the greatest cinematic moments of all time. 

Tommy was the man of the house, even if he resided with mom in Califon. 

Mom often came to visit Wilson.  She wished I lived closer to her, in a "better" neighborhood.  She even stayed overnight, sleeping on the couch.  I miss her so much and I wish I could afford to stay in Califon.

Tom and I remarried in Wilson in 2006 and became partners in life. One of our favorite activities was hiking along the Lehigh River every weekend before going to Califon in 2007.  He was my constant support, my loving husband.  He was wonderful to my mother and relished his role as "Pappy" to little Alex.  I have so many wonderful memories!  I miss him so much, I never thought he would leave this life so soon.

I have to decide whether to take a feral cat I named Yogi back to Wilson.  Yogi arrived last winter in my mom's garage.  I fed Yogi and talked to him, slowly he began to trust me and eventually became attached to me, but he hates being inside.  He would absolutely hate Wilson, a small city.  I want him with me because I love him, but I also want him to be where he is free and happy.  I want to know someone is looking out for him.  He is the only reason I wish I could win the lottery so I could buy my sibling out and pay for all my mom's bills allowing me to stay in the house in Califon.  I love Yogi!


My Yogi, I really want her to stay with me, but am I being selfish?


My home in Wilson is in disrepair.  At least those who lived there replaced the bathroom pipes but they left a gaping hole in the dining room ceiling that needs repair.  In addition, the bathroom floor is rotted and the kitchen tiles are warped and need replacement.  The living room floor needs refinishing and the bathroom and kitchen need updating.  All the walls need repainting. The outside needs repainting and the roof will need to be replace within the next couple years.  I certainly have my work cut out for me!

I am looking forward to this as a new adventure.  I refuse to look at it in a negative way because I have so much to look forward to!  I have my Alex and little Rowan; I am really excited about watching them grow.  I want to be in their lives as long as possible; I want to cherish every single moment of my wonderful life! 


 

2 comments:

Elle said...

It will be good to go home where you have so many rich memories. And fun to renovate, however long it takes. good luck to you.

The kitty? Do what you think is best for her... she might really miss you if you leave her behind.

Grammie Brown said...

Thanks Elle, I am going home this weekend. I can feed and pet my feral kitty Yogi for as long as my mother's house is unsold because it is on my way to work, so I have some time to figure out what I will do. There may be a neighbor who already feeds her and will take care of her (she sometimes is away for days and still remains well nourished). I want what is best for her because I love her very much.
It will be good to be home even though my work is "cut out for me";I do think I am up for the challenge! More to come about that in future posts!