Saturday, May 15, 2010

money, money, money....

Does it ever feel like life is never free of financial worries? Between my own bills and my mother's bills (which seem to grow bigger every minute) I am drowning. I keep waiting for a moment when my income can support both, but it never comes. I am drowning and I want so much to be rescued.

The reality is that I will never be "rescued". I, like many of my friends my age, are faced with the challenge of taking care of their aging parent(s). This involves handling all the legal paperwork (oodles and oodles of paperwork) and ensuring all the bills are paid. The bills pile up even though medically needy program says all my mother's income needs to go to the nursing home. But there are so many bills that have to be paid, especially her taxes. It is a nightmare at times. I do realize that everything will work out in time, but it is getting to that point that is frustrating.

The only part of my life right now that I feel I have control of is my First Strides running program. Work is so unpredictable, I never know what emergency will pop up next! At least I know that with running I have a set training schedule to follow, this week is was 2 slow minutes with 4 minutes fast, times five (with a 5 minute warm up and 5 minute cool down). I did the 3rd of my 4 workouts for the week this morning at Vorhees State Park and I feel like I am in total control! It was so beautiful, the sun was shining and the sky was so blue. Of course that may change Monday when I go back to work, but right now I am really feeling good about my progress. Tomorrow I will do my 4th workout for the week on the treadmill; I do not think I will have any problems completing the work-out.

Regardless of my worries, life has so much to offer. I am so very grateful for the good things in life, like partaking in an intelligent conversation, enjoying a good book or even running! Life is really good in spite of the challenges. There is a song about how "money makes the world go around", but that is not true. We make our world go around; we can choose to take control and live life to the fullest extent possible. I really like that!

No comments: