Saturday, May 8, 2010

Grateful

I started this week feeling like a truck had run me over. I was fighting a cold and the cold was winning. I felt really defeated, until I connected with a childhood friend on Facebook.

When I first came in contact with Facebook I didn't know what to make of it. Actually I couldn't figure out how to navigate the system, so I joined and promptly forgot about it. Slowly I have received "friend requests" and find myself in contact with so many people I love. One is a woman I have known all my life. I was humbled to find that she has battled a genetic lung disease for over 10 years. She now is on 26% lung function and has to use oxygen 24 hours a day. You would think she would be so discouraged, but she is the most upbeat person. She is grateful for each day she can get up out of bed. She loves life and lives it as fully as she can. And here I am complaining of a stupid cold! I am just in awe of her courage. She is truly an inspiration!

I did my work outs for the week, 3 minutes slow, 4 minutes fast time 4 with a 5 minute warm up and 5 minute cool down. I kept my pace in the timed mile (didn't do bad) and did not try to rush it in the first mile to get a higher time like some of the women; they went so fast in the beginning they couldn't run for the rest of the "hard" times.

I had a "pep" talk with Sarah and it really helped me. I know I am not 22 any more, but I am healthy and I am keeping up with the training program. I am doing okay, even if I had a "down" week. I made it through a tough time with a positive attitude; how could I not after realizing how very fortunate I am just to be able to run at all.

No comments: