Monday, February 27, 2012

Selling a House...a Home!



I am totally exhausted!  I have been going through boxes and boxes of old papers, bills, sheet music (a ton of sheet music) and an occasional news article or birthday and holiday cards.  All in an effort to clear out my family home that is for sale.

Today I went through a box filled with my father's medical records.  I loved my dad; the sun rose and set on him.  He passed away almost 22 years ago from Polyarteritis nodosa, which was a terminal illness at that time.  Reading about the different medical procedures he endured made me appreciate the pain he suffered.  There were notes from the CNAs that cared for him at home while my mother worked.  It was clear that dad did not want anyone else but mom caring for him.  I chuckled thinking about how he would take care of many of his own needs independently when I took care of him, but he would try to get mom do those things when she was caring for him.  I think that was their way of saying "I love you"..he trusted her to do those things for him, and she completed those tasks as if to say "I will love you forever".

This house that is for sale is more than wood, metal, plastic, tile and shingle.  It housed a life-time of love, drama, happiness, achievement and sorrow.  Tom and I were married for the first time in the back yard on June 9 1973, and thirty-five years later to the day Tom would die in this house after being on Hospice for a month. 

Mom and dad celebrated the birth of five grandchildren in this house.  Fifty two Christmases were celebrated in this house,  and more!  I loved growing up in this three bedroom, one bath house.  If walls could talk what a story they would tell!

Today a young couple looked at this house...I hope they will think about a future living in this house.  This house needs to have a new family..a new story full of love, drama, happiness, achievement and sorrow.  A house full of a lifetime of memories....like the wonderful memories I will carry with me forever!

1 comment:

Elle said...

I think it is lovely that you want your family home to be passed on to another family so they can build their lives and memories there, too.

Such a generous and caring way to look at your change. Good for you and I hope you love reliving your years there as you get ready to leave.

And I hope you are looking forward with excitement and hope!