Saturday, February 11, 2012

In Remembrance



I have to say that I have never understood evil.  I cannot understand how a person can kill another person without provocation.  I cannot understand how anyone can look at a child as a sexual object.  I have worked in the field of social work for over 30 years and I still cannot fathom such actions.  I understand the diagnoses, the pathology according to accepted constructs....they are our way of trying to make sense of completely senseless acts.   To me they represent pure evil.

Today the two precious little Powell boys were laid to rest:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/funeral-josh-powells-sons-held-washington/story?id=15561863
My heart aches for what these two little boys went through..first losing their mom and then having their father attack them with a hatchet before blowing up the house.  I cannot understand why more wasn't done to protect these two angels.  Law enforcement said their father as a suspect in their mother's death.  The judge and law enforcement also knew that their father had images of incest on his computer.  Why did the judge allow visitation in the father's home?  And why did the agency that supervised the visitation only send one worker to the home?  And why did the 911 dispatcher not send someone out immediately; the 911 tapes were devastating to listen to! 

Today at 11:00 am mountain time many people walked/ran for Sherry Arnold:
http://othervoices.runnersworld.com/2012/01/a-virtual-run-in-memory-of-sherry-arnold-2-11-12/?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-RunnersWorld-_-Conent-Blogs-_-OtherVoicesSherryRun
It is so hard to understand how a beautiful and wonderful mother, wife and teacher could go out one morning for a run and never return home.  Such a senseless loss! 



I ran today for Sherry and for the Powell boys.  I felt a connection to all those who took the time to remember..to pray that such heinous acts never happen to anyone else!  And that those loved ones who are left behind are comforted.

2 comments:

Elle said...

Such sad circumstances and tragedy for these families. Heartbreaking really.

So good to feel connected to caring people around the world today. Glad to know you felt that too, Noel.

Blessings to you.

Evolving Through Running said...

I wish the world made more sense sometimes. Glad you were able to join the collective run today to keep the balance shifted towards 'good'.