Thursday, January 20, 2011

New York City Half Marathon Training


I started my half marathon training last week.  Unfortunately I have been unable to run outside due to the weather so all my running has been on my Preform Treadmill that I just had repaired by Sears.  The repairman from Sears told me that my treadmill is not a "running" treadmill, but a "walking" one, even though the treadmill has running programs!  I have no choice but to ignore him; I cannot afford a new treadmill at this time.
I am not having any problem following the NYC Runner's Club Half Marathon Schedule.  I actually enjoy running the increasing running miles per week.  This week I am running 18 miles, up from17 miles last week. 
I do have mixed feelings about the NYC Half Marathon...will I finish under 3 hours?...will I be able to raise enough money for Fred's Team?  I can't get into the city during the week for the Team Sessions so far this month..but maybe I will next month.   I passionately believe in Sloan Kettering..they treated my Tommy when he had a tumor on his ankle..a "nasty" tumor...and he was cancer free as a result of their efforts within a few years.  Soon after Tommy passed, his sister Alison remembered how he beat cancer and at the time we thought he would live forever...but now we realize it was only "borrowed time". 
If I can do something to give someone life, or even "borrowed time", I would.   I wish my Tom could have had "borrowed time"; life is so precious! 
I want to be able to raise at least $1,000.00 for Sloan Kettering because they do such extraordinary work!   Their research and care has given new life to so many!   



2 comments:

Teamarcia said...

You're doing so great with your long run mileage! WHo knew there were walking mills and running mills? Not I!

Grammie Brown said...

I guess he didn't want to have to come back within the 90 day service guarantee...he thinks walking is less strenuous for the treadmill than running. I am going to ignore him...