Monday, July 11, 2011

Teeth

I finally got my metronome this afternoon, so it was off to Vorhees State Park to test it out.  Kathy Griest commented on how I do not like to leave first gear, but today was special...I set the metronome at 150..a good first gear pace.  I felt strong and easily made it up the hill all three times around the 1 mile trail.  I was focused, and I think I was able to hold my alignment and lean throughout the run.  But my teeth did distract me some.

I lost a tooth in the front just before graduating from Kean University in 1978.  The tooth that I lost had a root canal from 1969 and it broke off just two days before my graduation.  It was the only blight on my joy...I was only the second Social Work student at Kean to be accepted at Columbia University...and I was the second top student in the Bachelor of Social Work Program at Kean for 1978...I was so happy. 

The temporary "flipper" from 1978 lasted 10+ years..well beyond my years at college.  I had the "flipper" replaced with a "permanent bridge" in 1989.  A couple months ago the "permanent bridge" fell out..Dr. Bork (my dentist) glued it back in..then it fell out again, so Dr. Bork cemented it back in (it was apparent it was not going to stay in forever..something needed to be done about it).  This morning I went to Dr. Bork and he began my new journey to another "permanent bridge".  This one involved drilling through the enamel of two teeth and inserting a "temporary bridge"..next week a final impression will be made (after my teeth have a chance to "settle").  Three to four weeks later I will have my new "permanent bridge". 

I ran at Vorhees this afternoon, in the hot humid weather..with the Novocaine decreasing...the discomfort...the aching...the bad bite coming into my consciousness.  How horrid...but then I thought that maybe as a result of my pain I will cut back on my eating and finally lose the last 25 pounds!  So when Dr. Bork called me tonight to see how I was...I didn't call back.  I need to face my "pain"..adjust my food intake  while justing my bite.

Tomorrow is my 5 mile day...metronome will be set at 160...teeth grimacing and beautiful (yes, they look beautiful...very natural), I will align, lean, move my elbows and Chi-run effortlessly (hopefully!).
Smiles are very important!

2 comments:

Teamarcia said...

I love that you're working on Chi running! Hope your mouth is feeling better. Have you consided a dental implant as an alternative to the bridge?

Grammie Brown said...

I did consider a dental implant, but my dental plan would not pay for it.
ChiRunning is great, but more complicated than I originally thought...it will take time for me to "perfect"!