Wednesday, July 6, 2011

ChiRunning...finally!

Two years ago I scheduled a one week retreat at Kripalu in Sockbridge, Mass for cross country skiing.  Well, I was unable to go due to issues with my mother so I cancelled, but not in time to get a refund.  The cost of my retreat would be held on account at Kripalu. 

In February 2009 I started the Mark Webber beginner running program on the treadmill.  Around the same time I read my first article about Danny Dreyer and his ChiRunning program.  As an avid user of acupuncture, I was intrigued.  The Kripalu catalogue listed a retreat for ChiRunning in the summer of 2009 so I used the money I had there on account to schedule the ChiRunning retreat.  Unfortunately I had to cancel that retreat and then another retreat for ChiRunning.  The money continued to be held on account at Kripalu minus $150.00(each cancellation cost $50.00).

Last month I saw that Kathy Greist, a Master Instructor for ChiRunning, was holding a retreat from July 1-4, 2011.  I registered, praying I would not have to cancel again.


On July 1, 2011 I arrived at Kripalu.  You could not have asked for a more beautiful day; the sun was shining and the temperature was in the high 70's..just perfect!

Kripalu driveway

My room at Kripalu.

The view from my room.

Beautiful!

One of the gardens.

I have a lot more to learn about ChiRunning, but I am so excited about what I have accomplished so far.  By aligning my body in a forward lean while relaxing my knees, ankles, shoulders and arms, I can move freely and effortlessly...no pain and hopefully no injuries. 

My teacher, Kathy Griest, was incredible.  Her assistants Ann Margaret, Mike I and Mike II were awesome too!  I ordered my metronome and have myChiRunning book and ChiRunning DVD to refer to as I continue on in my training.  I have not been so excited about anything like this in a long time.

So, I will see where this new chapter leads me.  I believe that without our Chi...our life force..moving freely through our bodies we are not complete.  After my son Tommy died I had friends telling me to take this medication or that medication...I had a friend who is a Psychiatrist prescribe a pill that actually made my symptoms worse.  For the first time in my life I experienced anxiety..anxiety is not "nervousness", it is a debilitating state of panic!  I would try to sleep at night and start to think about Tommy...even if he was 31 at the time of his death, he was still my little boy..I needed to know where he was...I would grab the sheets...panicking...scared...I felt like I was falling into an abyss...the feeling was paralyzing.  I could not sleep, read, listen to music....I  could not rest.  Then my friend Anita mentioned how she found acupuncture to be extremely helpful. I decided to give acupuncture a try; thank god I did!   During my first acupuncture treatment I felt the energy flowing again in my body; Tommy's death had left me a broken woman and part of me was gone forever from this life.  Acupuncture repaired the broken areas...I felt alive again. I believe in an after-life and knew Tommy continued to exist, but he was not in the present and I felt as though I had no arms, no legs.  Acupuncture gave me a sense of wholeness.  I still grieve, that will never change, but I know that I will strive to live each day to the fullest, life goes on and Tommy would want me to continue in this wonderful journey of life.

Happy ChiRunner!


I feel a wonderful sense of wholeness.....a freedom of motion from ChiRunning...like I am a child again; a happy child full of joy!

3 comments:

David Stretanski said...

Grammie,
So very nice to hear you were able to experience ChiRunning with Kathy at Kripalu; and that it is helping you move forward with each day.

I am originally from Clinton NJ (now in Red Bank NJ) and do a number of programs at the Hunterdon Wellness Center as I share ChiRunning/ChiWalking across the NJ+ area. I hope we cross paths in person someday; and would love to hear more about all the great things to come for you.

My best to you.
Enjoy!
David.

Laura H said...

Love that you have been able to find a way to continue to enjoy this life. I am betting Tommy is loving it too, where ever he is. Keep the Chi flowing and when the grief bubbles up, let it run its course, as it will. I truly love what you have found! :)

Grammie Brown said...

David, I plan on Participating in your programs at the Hunterdon Wellness Center.

Laura..I looked at your blog and I love it!

I do feel Tommy is with me at times when I am running..he was a runner and wanted me to join him so many time before he passed.