Sunday, December 18, 2011

Family?


I was once Alex's only "Grammie".

Ever since I can remember, I wanted to be a wife and mother. I wanted to be like Ozzie and Harriet; perfect parents with perfect children.  I never really thought about a career when I was a child, just love and babies.

Well, my life has been anything but an episode from Ozzie and Harriet. 

I was a single parent for most of my adult life.  I may have not been the most perfect mother, but I loved my children and wanted the best for them.  They have been a joy and a blessing.  All three were extremely intelligent and incredibly talented...all three beloved family members.  My oldest son Tommy's death devastated the family.

I recently found out that I am no longer the one and only Grammie...I have been replaced with a bedbug, another Grammie.  My daughter is engaged to a wonderful young man and his mother has showered love on Alex (he calls her his bed-bug).  Alex told me he has two gammies now.

I want my Grandson to be happy and I will always be grateful he has people who love him in his life.  But I feel sad that I am no longer his one and only Grammie.  I wish he would call her "Grandma" or "Nanna", but apparently this is not the case.

As sad as I feel, I rejoice that he has so many caring people in his life. 

This is all the more reason to move onward in my life and start training for my first half-marathon right after the holidays.  I want to run in my son, husband and mother's memories.  I was so blessed to have them in my life.  I know they would want me to take the higher road...the road that has the "half full" glass because life is full of opportunities!  We just have to grab those wonderful opportunities when they occur!

Turn lemons into lemonade!

Maybe I need to rethink the title of this blog...hmmmm..maybe Noelgetsalife?

1 comment:

Elle said...

I really like Noelgetsalife!

And I am going to start training for a half, my first, soon too.

You are still Grammie #1!