Monday, January 2, 2012

Life's Pictures

I have to clean out my mother's house and this involves hours of going through boxes and boxes of papers, cards, bills and pictures.

Today I tackled one of the hall closets.  Oh my, what a mess!  But within this mess I found pictures I never saw before.  I gingerly looked through my mother's scrap books from the 1930's and 40's.  What a story they told.

My mother kept every memento..every program...every letter from her loved ones.... post cards...and especially every letter from her beloved Terry (along with the many dance cards that listed him as her only partner).

Terry was a charming, handsome young man she started dating while in high school...from the looks of things they were very much in love.  When WWII started Terry enlisted to fight for freedom.  He fought, died and was buried in in Guadalcanal.  He was awarded the Purple Heart for his bravery....my mother loved him..he was a true American Hero!

Eventually she met a very handsome young Alexander Raymond Dunn and fell in love again.  They were such an ideal couple!

I wish I had the opportunity to know my mother when she was young.  I think I would have really liked her!  We loved the same things..especially music.  I once played an okay piano..a good enough clarinet to once be a first chair, first clarinet in a Junior Orchestra.  I studied classical guitar for a number of years; I think I was pretty good too!

I imagine myself "jamming" with mom, playing some of her favorite songs.  I think that would have been great fun!

Parents are only human, just like us.  They did have a life before we were born, a life that is important for us to experience and understand.  They helped mold us into what we are today...it is so wonderful and sweet to find that they are more like us than different. 

I am so flattered when someone says I remind them of my mother or father.  They are the greatest compliments I could ever receive!

                                                                                  My Wonderful Parents

2 comments:

Elle said...

I love that picture. Did you have it colorized? Very nice.

I love looking at old family momentos too.

Grammie Brown said...

I love this picture! It is from an original slide. My dad always said that slides were more true to color than photographs (back in the 1950's and 60's)