Wednesday, September 22, 2010

lousy math+imagination=scared





Pictures of my favorite places to run!


Okay, if I run an average of 10 minute miles, then it will take me 4.36 hours to finish a marathon? If I run an average of 13 minute miles, then it will take me 5.67 hours? If I run a cool 15 minute mile average, then it will take me 6.55 hours to cross the finish line? If I run an average of 18 minutes a mile, then I will cross the finish line in 7.86 hours? If I fall and scratch my knee, or have tummy trouble, it could take me 10 hours....or even longer! But then again, I was never good at math, so I could be wrong.


I wonder, what is the record for the slowest marathon time? I probably have a chance at breaking that record. Someone has to be the slowest, there are much worse titles one could earn, right?


When I ran my 5K back in June, there was a young girl that started out in my "pace pack". She was excited to tell us that she came in dead last in the last 5K she entered. I asked how many 5K races she has completed and she said "Oh, about 10", adding that she usually comes in last or next to last. She smiled; she didn't mind being last because to her finishing the race was like winning. Yes, it was inspiring to know she had this incredible attitude, but I was determined to stay ahead of her, so I upped my pace(I panicked at the thought of finishing last). As it turned out she did not finish last, or even within the last few runners. I actually had goosebumps as I watched her cross the finish line. Her face glowing with a huge smile. That is when I realized that "last" can be the "best". I was really happy for her, she was doing what she loved and getting better at it. Now that's guts and determination; a true winner!


I am slowly reaching out and reading other blogs about running. I can see that my fears, worries and vivid imagination are much like other people who are taking that leap onto a new path towards achieving a new running goal.


I know I am slow, but I'm starting to grow and in my running it will show!

1 comment:

Allen said...

Love your pictures of your favorite place to run. I lived in Massachusetts for 17 years and Maryland for two years. I'm now in the Utah desert and miss the trees of the east coast.