Thursday, September 30, 2010

Running in the rain!

The trail I was running this evening, only it was a bit muddy!

                     My "newest" running shoes, muddy and wet!

I am following the First Marathon Made Easy program developed by Yuri Elkaim and Jill Bruyere.  Since I have not been running long distances I am beginning my training using their "Pre-Trainer Schedule".  The schedule consists of 3 mile runs on Monday and Tuesdays, Wednesday is a rest day, 4 mile run on Thursday, with Friday a rest day, then 6 miles on Saturday.  Sunday is a rest day.  On my rest days I walk, hike or ride my mountain bike.  I also do strength training 2 days a week.  I will follow this schedule until I am able to run the 6 miles without difficulty.  Today is Thursday, so I had a 4 mile run to complete.

Today was a drenching wet day; we had pouring rain and wind gusts!  But the temperature was a balmy 75 degrees F.  I was determined not to have to do my 4 miles on the dreaded treadmill (yes, I hate running on the treadmill).  I was able to go to Vorhees and run on the trails for 4 miles before dark in the pouring rain.  The trail was awesome, the wet, dark tree bark was in sharp contrast to the bright green leaves.  I just love the intense beauty, the peacefulness of the woods.  I knew I was running on the wet, muddy ground, but didn't care.  The rain felt good against my skin; it had a nice cooling effect. 

When I got home I looked at my "new" running sneakers...they were dirty!  My Mizuno Wave Creation 11 size 10 (yes, I need much bigger running shoes for my size 8 1/2 feet) were filthy.

Oh, what the heck, I had a great run!

I have 7 months, 7 days until my first marathon.  I will persevere, rain will not deter me from reaching my goal!

No comments: