Monday, May 9, 2011

The Long Goodbye

My 4th birthday, my mother holds the cake she baked while I pull the candles out,  She was the best Mom!

I have written about my mother.  She is suffering from Dementia and is now in the end stages.  She is incontinent, non-ambulatory and unable to feed herself.  She cannot hold a spoon, she cannot drink or eat without the threat of aspiration.  Her food must be pureed to a thick liquid and her liquids must be thickened to a soupy mixture, fed to her with a spoon.  She recently was hospitalized with aspiration pneumonia; we almost lost her.  She may be well enough to return to the nursing home tomorrow or Wednesday; we will see.

I hate Dementia!  It has taken a strong, vital, warm and funny woman and changed her into a fearful woman who no longer recognizes those who love her.  It truly is, as Maureen Regan said, "the long good-bye".
I hope I can avoid this horrible disease, even though many in my family have suffered from it.  I am, however, determined to do all I can not to suffer as my mother is suffering.

Will running, hiking and biking keep me from Dementia?  I do not know, but I am sure going to try!

I love my mother with all my heart and I wish I could make her better.  She was the best mother!  She always put everyone else first, herself last.  I am so grateful she was my mom!

Today was beautiful!  My mother looked out the window and said very softly "It is beautiful outside".  I told her I thought it was beautiful too.  I decided I would not waste this beautiful day.  It was the perfect day for my favorites...a 3 mile run and a 6 mile ride on my bike on the trails.  I love every moment I have to devote to my favorite things!  I decided I will devote my favorite things to my mother who can no longer do the things she loves.  I hope you took time to enjoy your favorite things too!

4 comments:

Teamarcia said...

I'm so sorry you're going thru this Noel. My hubby lost his granny a few months ago but we really lost her a couple of years ago to dementia. I think about the causes of dementia often. Who will get it? Who will not?
I agree with you I think being active will only help the cause and there are studies to support that. But most importantly i think were all better off when we do the things we enjoy.

NattyBumpo said...

My best friend from high school is going through this with his father. I have no words, but my thoughts are with you both.

Cathie Baker said...

My prayers are with you. We went through this with my Dad a few years ago. We were fortunate in that we were able to keep him at home until the very end. We had an incredible support system through hospice. As hard as it was, I am grateful that I moved my parents in with me 10 years ago and was able to provide care for him.

Again, my thoughts and prayers are with you at this time.

Lori said...

Hugs to you. I know what you're going thru as I had the same thing with my Mother. It is heartbreaking to be sure.
I'm sure your running is helping you deal with the stress. Take care.