Monday, May 16, 2011

The Park Police!


One of Vorhees State Park trails..I love to run there!

I have been so happy that my running is now pain free.  I am back on the trails, loving each step.

One of my favorite places to run and walk is Vorhees State Park.  I often run there very early in the morning and later in the evening.  The park has hours it is "opened", but I have always ignored those hours, as have many other people!  Usually the Park Police lock the gates that enclose the inner most part of the park at "closing time", but leave the entrance parking lot opened.  They have never told anyone to leave after the "closed" hour has past, in contrast they have smiled and waved to people who continue to enjoy the beauty of the park until sundown.

Well tonight there was a new Park Policeman on duty, and he apparently took his job a lot more seriously than the rest of us do.

The new Park Policeman has arrived!

This evening I went to the park to take a walk through the woods, as I ran earlier this morning at the Columbia Trail.  As soon as I parked my car at Vorhees, I noticed the Officer's truck parked near the entrance. I got out of my car and walked through the woods for about a mile and then exited the woods, I decided to walk down the road towards the lodge, only a distance of about a quarter mile.  Immediately I saw a vehicle enter the park.  The Police truck suddenly set off a series of horns with blinking lights from his truck.  The vehicle turned around and exited the park.  I looked at my watch...15 minutes past 7:00pm.  Then I checked the park hours sign...closing is 7pm.  I walked rapidly towards my car as the Officer's truck drove towards me..."Is that your car Mam?", the Officer asked.  I told him it was and that I lost track of time, after all we had a chilly rainy day and I wanted to take advantage of the "rainless", beautiful evening by enjoying a walk in the woods.  I noticed he had his computer on the in his truck, maybe to check out whether I was a wanted criminal.  Initially he gave me a sour look, but then he smiled, "Yes, Mam, I agree, it is a beautiful evening!", he said, abruptly driving off down the road.  When I got to my car I was so relieved to see that I did not have a ticket under my wiper blade.

I guess I am going to have to find a new place to run in the early hours, since Vorhees doesn't "open" until 8:00am.  I do not want to risk getting a ticket from the friendly Park Police Officer!

I know who I would love to have as the Park Police Officer........

Ranger Betty!

Ahhhh, Betty White.....don't you just love Betty!  I want Officer Betty at Vorhees!  She would lock the gates while wishing everyone a great workout!  

No comments: