Sunday, October 16, 2011

Children

My family home in 1960, right after we moved in.  The 1957 Chevy station wagon is on the left in the garage and the 1959 VW is on the right.

I am so overwhelmed with my mother's end of life care; I want her to leave this life peacefully and without any pain.  She is so fragile and needs constant care.  I do trust she is receiving the best care even though I found her one morning in a condition that should never, ever happen.  I trust it will never happen again...I will be watching to make sure!


Since going to Califon 5 years ago with my late husband to care for my mom after she suffered a stroke, I realized I am truly my mother's daughter.  I have  facial expressions like her and I sing around the house...I even sing answers to my grandson Alex like my mom sang to my children (and to me).  People immediately recognize me as my mother's daughter (people immediately recognized me as my dad's daughter..I think I look more like my dad except for my eyes..I have my mother's eyes). 


My son Tommy was wonderful.  He was always coming over to take care of something.  He was such a joy to have around; his dry sense of humor was unmatched. He loved his family and did all he could to keep us together, especially at holiday times.  He worried about all of us and was there when we were in need.  He was a great blessing....and a loss from which we will never recover in this life.


My daughter Alison and son Steve have always tried to be there. They have given their time and energy to help with some overwhelming tasks at mom's house.  Steve has been putting up a new ceiling in the breezeway and helping with clearing up the numerous fallen branches outside.  There is so much to be done.


I love my family home and wish there was some way of keeping it, but the situation is complicated.  Maybe someday I will be able to find a small country house that will be just the right fit for me.


Meanwhile, I keep my vigil for my mother and I pray for her peaceful passing.  I will miss her more than she will ever know!  I always looked to my parents to be my comfort..now I know I am the one to comfort them.  It is the circle of life...the way it should be!

1 comment:

Teamarcia said...

Wishing you and your mom peace and comfort, Noel. Big hugs.