Monday, October 24, 2011

Saying Goodbye

Alex

My mother was buried this morning and this marks the beginning of my life without her.  I know that due to Dementia she really "left" us several years ago, but she pretty much recognized me until the end.  I cannot imagine life without her, but I have no choice in the matter.

I spent most of the day with my grandson Alex.  From the age of 1 1/2 until almost 3 Alex helped me care for my mother.  He held her cane as I got her dressed or ready for bed.  He would hold her tooth cup at night and rinse her teeth and present them to her in the morning (we called him the "tooth fairy" with tremendous affection).  Alex and mom sat at the same table for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  They had a special bond and love for each other.

Over the past couple years my mother was unable to recognize people.  She forgot her grandchildren and even forgot little Alex.  Alex was sad that Nanny didn't know him but he understood that she was "not feeling well".  He loved her no matter what.

Alex was so concerned that we "bury" Nanny today.  We had the graveside service this morning, but Alex wanted to make sure she was  fully "buried" next to his Pappy, Uncle Tommy and great papa.  He was relieved to see her grave covered and the beautiful flower arrangements on top of her grave.  He told me that Nanny, Uncle Tommy, Pappy and his Great Grandfather are together and he was so happy about it.

I am hurting so much that my mother is now gone...but it took an innocent little boy's words to put the day in perspective...she may be gone from this world but she is now in the best company.

The only sure thing in life is that we all will die.  Mom had a wonderful life and she gave me all the tools I will ever need to continue to live in this world without her!


 

2 comments:

Linda Devlin said...

with tears in my eyes, I wish you peace, Noel..
You have been through so much..
and you are right, the only certain thing is that we will all die.. but dying is just crossing over to another world bright with love and happiness. I am certain of that ~too many coincidences for it not to be..
Thank God for your little grandson, he understands so much more than we do.. I know, I have a grandaughter that spoke with me last night about the loss of her great gram ( my mom) she was only 4 1/2 yrs old then, ( now 6 yrs old) and she remembers everything about that day.. without our prompting her.. she said to me " Don't be sad, Gramma, we will see your mommy again!" and that was the end of the conversation!

Grammie Brown said...

I agree Linda, my mother is in a world bright with happiness and love. She is with those she loves who passed before her.
Our grandchildren are pure and innocent and they remind us of what is most important!