Saturday, October 2, 2010

Running River, Then a Rest Day

I took this last year at the Ken Lockwood Gorge, there is a Great Blue Heron in the center of the picture.


Today was my six miler!  It was a cool 46 degrees F this morning and there was no rain!!!  I ran on the Columbia Trail from High Bridge, starting off really slow but soon found my rhythm and settled into a steady, but still slow, run.


I just marveled at the beauty that surrounded me.  There was a mist rising over the river as I started running above the Ken Lockwood Gorge, it dissipated as the sun became brighter.  The river was full and flowing; it looked just like the river in Robert Redford's movie "A River Runs Through It", which was based upon Norman Maclean's classic memoir.  I imagined that Norman and Paul Maclean were fly fishing down there in the gorge on this glorious morning, their lines flowing gracefully in the air as they cast them.  I imagined Reverend Maclean sitting on the banks reading his Bible, occasionally glancing over at his sons, a look of contentment on his face.

I feel so incredibly lucky, so blessed , not only to be able to run, but to be able to run in such a special place!  I would never last if I had to run on a treadmill all the time; that would be torture. 

Tomorrow is my "rest day", which really means it is an "I don't run today" day.  There is never time to rest.  I am sure Alex will have me up at the crack of dawn because, "Grammie, the sun is up and it is pretty outside!"  Then I will get up, give Alex breakfast and feed the animals.  Then it is coffee time for me.  Then clean up after the animals, do dishes, do several loads of laundry.  Dust, vacuum and mop the floors.  Fold up mom's laundry and put it in the car.  You get it, the list goes on and on and on.....until after I drop off Alex.   Then I'll load up my mountain bike on the back of my car and head for the trail!  Yeah, that will be the best time of the day!!! 

Today is another great day and tomorrow certainly looks promising!   Hope your weekend is a great one too!!!

No comments: