Monday, March 21, 2011

Clearing the big bumps!

I recently wrote a post about experiencing another "bump" in the road of life.  We all experience "bumps", but it is how we deal with them that counts. 
I draw on all the positive, loving people I have had in my life when I face the rough times.  For example, my Nanna (Helen Geist), my Aunt Mamie and my dad.  I was so very close to all three of them. 
Nanna wrote The Califon Story  when I was a young girl.  She would babysit for me every Tuesday and when I was at her home she would read me stories from her book.  I loved her so much..she was not only my grandmother, but my closest confidant!
Aunt Mamie was 80 when I was born.  She gave me "lady lessons" after seeing me wipe my nose on my tee-shirt.  I have never been able relate to the Victorian world she belonged to, but I knew it was very special to be loved by her.
My dad was a genius, he was like a sponge..always soaking up knowledge.  There was never enough time in the day to read, to learn, to understand.  My dad was a constant work in progress.  I loved him with all my heart, even when I was a teenager...... boy did I give him a hard time; I was a wild child for a while!  Regardless, I was his "Babe"..he rarely called me by my name..I was always "Babe" to him.  I miss him so much; I am proud to be a "daddy's girl"!
We travel through life..on an an incredible journey....never sure of what we will encounter next.  It seems to me if we learn from our life experiences, then we gain the tools to weather the "bumps" in the road ahead.
Life is always a work in progress...I can't wait to see what lies ahead! 

1 comment:

Evolving Through Running said...

Sounds like a great support system growing up. A supportive family is so important in life. You father sounds a lot like mine. I think it's unfortunate that a strong work ethic and a thirst for knowledge is becoming harder to find these days.