Sunday, March 20, 2011

Friends

This morning I headed outside, it was 29 Degrees F with a slight breeze.  I needed to run at least 3 miles, so I started out on a trail near Califon. I was slow at first, cold and tired.  I had a lot on my mind and I was feeling down about myself.  The "old tapes" from my childhood sometimes haunt me...I feel less than adequate, a loser.  Certain triggers set me back and it takes a real effort to overcome them.  Running has given me the strength to overcome some of those negative feelings.
As I ran I felt serene, I was in another world; no one could hurt me there.   I decided to turn to another trail with less runners...less people passing me (I am slow).  I love the moments when my legs move effortlessly, gliding along with abandonment.  There were hills, and I climbed them with a wonderful sense of accomplishment.  I ran 6 miles in all....I could have run more miles, but I knew my left leg has been a problem and I need to be careful.

Later I met four beloved, wonderful old friends for lunch.  I have not laughed so hard in months.  Ruth, Anne, Ann and Miss Sheri...I love them so much.  We have shared years of working together, raising our children and our grandchildren (well Sheri, Anne and I...Ann will eventually be a Grammie).  We have gone through watching our children grow and experiencing great accomplishments, as well as devastating losses.  Miss Sheri just lost her incredible Husband Tom; an amazing man who was dedicated to his wife and family.
Life is full of its ups and downs...its good-times and bad-times.  But through it all it is our friends that make it possible to heal.  I never would have made it through losing my son Tommy without my friends.  I never would have made it through losing my husband Tom without my friends.  Without my friends I would find watching my mother suffer from Dementia, unbearable.
Friends are some of the greatest gifts life has to offer, I am so grateful I have the very best of friends!

No comments: