Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Coming Of Age..Peace Brother!

I am apparently a "masters" runner, only due to my age...a pseudo-senior citizen...I prefer to refer to myself as a "very slow runner" regardless of my age.  I graduated high school in the early 1970's, received my BSW in 1978...got my MSW from Fordham University in 1979.  I am a product of the "hippie" movement, and quite frankly I am proud of it !  Yes, as one of the Case Managers I supervise described them, I am a "dirty, smelly hippie"!  I loved being at the tail end of the "love" movement!  This period produced so many incredible musicians, humanitarians, philosophers, political advocates and open minded people.  Tolerance was the word...people were not to be "labeled"; they were to be understood and respected.

Okay, I am over the age of 50..but I feel more like 25.  I refuse to be put in a category...to be "labeled"..I am a woman who is spiritual, a woman who loves her friends and especially loves that she knows so many people that differ in their political and spiritual opinions... I LOVE diversity!!!!

I run because I love it, because I feel free...not because I want to run a 5K in 30 minutes or less.   I live my life according to the positive changes I hope to help facilitate in other people's lives.  I love my profession...I have the privilege of meeting incredible families and working with dedicated agencies, making a difference in many people's lives.  

I owe my choice of profession to my experiences in the "summer of love", 1967.



My father was part of a world-wide science symposium in 1967 at the University of California in Berkeley.   The Monterrey Pop Festival occurred while we were there.  For publicity purposes, Janis Joplin and the Holding Company and Jimi Hendrix performed in Berkeley for free.  As a young girl I was there to hear their mini concerts; it was the most incredible music I have ever experienced. Jimi was out of this world, and Janis' voice was beyond amazing!

I participated in "love ins" (when I was supposed to be taking my tennis lessons, I took the "pronto bus" to Haight Ashbury) and I saw people treat each other with such love and respect.  I knew this was the world I wanted to be part of. 

I have advocated for tolerance, for love and yes for "peace"...because without love there is nothing!

Love one another...hold on to your passion...like your love for running!

I leave you with a gift..it is a long video..but it is an awesome one!  

Peace!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnwa1ccNt0E

No comments: