Sunday, April 3, 2011

Passion

I have been thinking a lot about passion today.  Passion is the ultimate motivator for us to achieve our dreams. 

I have a passion to advocate for those who cannot advocate for themselves; those who cannot speak for themselves.  I feel that I have been blessed hundreds of times over having chosen the field of Social Work.  I have spent the past 30 years of my life working with individuals who have been diagnosed with a "developmental disability".  The families and individuals I have worked with have inspired and humbled me more times than I can count.  I try never to take for granted the "gifts" I have been granted.  These "gifts" include being able to talk, walk, dress myself, feed myself, toilet myself, drive a car, run, ride a bicycle and have general good health. 

I also have a passion for running; running for the sake of feeling free.....moving without boundaries of time and space.  I guess that is why I do not care so much about competitive running.  I just want to run on my favorite trails without limitations.

The first time I was exposed to "freedom" was during the summer of 1967 when my family was in Berkeley, California; I have written of this before.  I saw such passion, such freedom in so many during that summer.  I was just a young girl, but the likes of Jimi Hendrix opened my eyes to so much.  He was so handsome, so one with the guitar, and his voice was mesmerizing.  I was completely hooked!  I wanted that passion...I wanted that connection..and I was fortunate to have such a passion in my life.  I am not famous or wealthy, but I am gratified that I had a chance to do what I felt compelled to do with my life. 

I will leave you with Jimi performing Purple Haze in Berkeley, California 1967: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKaBnJWOUhI&playnext=1&list=PLD6EC2965BD2894DF

Jimi is full of passion!

Never give up...live your passion!

2 comments:

Teamarcia said...

Life is full of so many gifts. Running is one of my favorite times to think of and appreciate all the abundance in my life.

Grammie Brown said...

I agree..running is a time to reflect and appreciate life's blessings!