Sunday, April 10, 2011

Happy Spring!

I haven't ventured far from the house due to side effects from the medication I am on for my ear and sinus infection.  This morning I felt a little better and felt like getting outside and exercising.  Today is one of my "rest" days, so I thought...hmmmm...54 degrees F...cloudy...perfect weather for a ride on my mountain bike!


My Trek bike loaded up and ready to go (taken last summer)!

I drove to the trail and started out..wicking turtleneck, rolled up blue jeans and a fleece top.  I was so excited, back on the trail after almost 6 months!  There were many signs of spring..beautiful little wild flowers blooming, budding trees and tiny yellow blooms on the forsythia bushes!  I really regretted not taking my camera along....but I did get a nice picture of sprouting skunk cabbage the other day.  Skunk cabbage is a sign of spring; many animals think skunk cabbage is delicious and it provides them with nourishment after the long winter months! 


Sprouting skunk cabbage, a sign of spring!  Yeah!!!

I turned around at the 4 mile mark.  Eight miles is enough for the first ride of the season...my legs were fine, but....butt...was not!   The first ride is always the most challenging.

Yes, spring has finally arrived after this long snowy winter.  I am so excited, longer days...warmer days...more time to run, ride, garden and just enjoy being outside with nature! 

Happy spring everyone!

2 comments:

Evolving Through Running said...

Happy Spring indeed! Best season of the year (despite the pollen). Glad you're feeling better.

Grammie Brown said...

Thanks! I agree, spring is wonderful in spite of the pollen!