Saturday, October 16, 2010

My Bear

This morning I was supposed to run a 5K, but because of the problems I have been having with my piriformis muscles I decided to "sit" this one out.  I planned on running 3 miles at a very slow pace today.

Well this morning it was cold and w~i~n~d~y, so at 7:00 am I thought it might be a good idea to consider this my "rest" day.  But my passion for running got the best of me so I started out at about 8:30 am.  I wore my running shorts, my "wicking" long sleeve running shirt, my addidas hat and my wind-breaker jacket.  I drove to Vorhees State Park and began running my favorite 1 mile course.  I was planning on running around the course 3 times, for a 3 mile run. 

Half-way through my first mile I turned a corner and there was "my bear"...yes I know it is technically not "mine", but I have seen him or her several times and I feel a sense of familiarity.  At first I turned around and ran the other way, then I turned back.  The bear was just strolling along the path.  He/she looked at me and then went on his/her way.  I struggled to get my cell phone camera on....oh I hate my cell phone....you have to go through 28 options to get to the stupid camera!  By the time I got the camera on the bear was gone.  I ran ahead peaking around, running slowly, but he/she was gone.  The bear headed towards the area where I heard the "growls" the other night (they were not angry growls, they were similar to...but much louder than...the growls my Beagle Barney makes when he is scratching an itch).  

"My bear"  is almost completely black, he/she is chubby and very calm.  He/she is probably a yearling weighing around 100lbs.  I got a close look this morning and was able to watch him/her walk along the trail as I clumsily fumbled with my stupid cell phone.  The filtered sunlight shone through the semi leafless trees, making the  Bear's black fir appear iridescent; what a beautiful, magnificent animal!

I ran 3 miles, slowing down with my cell camera at the spot I saw my bear to see if I could get a picture.  At the end of the 3 miles I decided I was too energetic to stop, so I ran an extra mile (plus I wanted to see if my bear would show up for his portrait!)

Now, I wouldn't run up to my bear and try to shake his paw, but I am certainly not afraid of him.  He tolerated me and went about his business, as I did mine.  Although you might say I was kinda stalking him.  I am still determined to get a picture before he dens for the winter.


I didn't get a picture today but I did find some pictures that resembled him on bearsite.com.  My bear is almost entirely black, and he is at peace living with nature as I am; we are just two creatures living in  harmony.

Check out bear.org to learn more about black bears. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved your story of the encounter with "your bear". Thanks for sharing.