Saturday, April 3, 2010

Super Heroes

I finished my week #8 of Mark Will-Weber's 10 week Training Plan. I ran 13 minutes/walk 2 minutes times 2 this morning on the treadmill(plus warm-up and cool-down). I did my run/walk on the treadmill yesterday morning too. I felt energized after each workout even though I began each workout feeling exhausted. I tried to get my second day of my out door walk 4 minutes/run 1 minute times 3 (plus warm-up and cool-down) for my First Strides Program yesterday, but I did not have time. I am going to go to the park tonight and use the Par Course.

My grandson Alex slept here last night so soon after I started running this morning I was paged by Alex. "Grammie come here...Grammie come here right now..there are big bees!" he yelled. It seemed big black ants had arrived and were slowly making their way towards Alex's breakfast. There were only 2 of them that I could find, but in Alex's mind they were two 6 foot monster "bees". So "Super Grammie" arrived just in time to rid the room of the monstrous "bees"!

Yesterday I had my own experience with a Super Hero. For the past couple months the pipes here in my mother's house have been getting slower and slower. The tub was backed up and I could not get it open so I finally decided it was time to call Roto-Rooter. When I got up yesterday I grabbed the phone book, and even though I was half-asleep, I managed to look up the phone number and call for help. A couple hours later my help arrived. The plumber was a pleasant man, but he was extremely talkative. His conversations sounded like they were mainly between himself and the pipes. The pipes were dirty, the pipes were bad, the pipes were "icky..icky!" and the pipes were so awful he didn't even want to "touch" them. I was kind of feeling a little sorry for the poor pipes. It was only when the plumber called "Mam" that I knew he was talking to me and not the pipes. He called "Mam" for paper towels after about 2 hours of work. In response I ran down cellar with a whole roll of paper towels, when he saw me he threw his arms up in the air and said "Look at this!" pointing to 2 little black spots on his grey tee shirt. I thought to myself, "Well, what do you expect...you are a plumber!". He asked me to inspect the pipes, referring to the the icky black goop inside the pipes as "stinky grease". He worked for about 3 hours cutting through pipes replacing pipes and roto-rooting through the drains. And when the roto-rooting was done he had me inspect the menagerie of goopy items that caused all the problems. "Look at this...look at this..stinky, black paper and plastic.. this cannot happen again.. just look at this, this is awful, this happens again no one can get through!", he exclaimed. I actually found him very entertaining.

When the plumber was finishing up, I walked out to get the mail. As I walked down the drive way I was shocked to find I had not called Roto-Rooter, but called "Rooter-Man" instead..yes, I said "Rooter-Man". His van had a picture of a plumber with a cape and mask flying through the air holding wrenches in his hand, the words "Rooter-Man To The Rescue....Clogged drains and sewer pipes cleaned.....As Seen on TV" were written on the side of the van. I couldn't believe it..Rooter-Man was in my mother's home. Some how he didn't look or act like a Super Hero, but he did save me from the "awful" pipes and for that I was grateful ($961.93 later)!

No comments: