Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Sarah Palin,Grizzly Mama & Runner!


Back in the summer of 2009 the August issue of Runner's World "I am a Runner" interview series focused on Sarah Palin, authored by Dan Simmons.  I loved the article and I had such a fondness for Sarah; she seemed so real and I really related to her.  She was one of my inspirations to get back to running again.  Here is the link to the article:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-243-410--13221-4-1X2X3X4-5,00.html

I really want to like the Alaskan grizzly mom; I am watching Sarah Palin's Alaska as I write this, and I enjoy the show.  I love nature, I love the outdoors, I love running, I love family and I am also very spiritual.  I want to love this lady with the snooki-do from Alaska!  But I have to say I am a little cautious about her possibly running for the President of the United States.



Look, a Grizzly Mama!   


Over the past year there has been so much press about Sarah and her family.  I have to say I am find it a bit overwhelming.  Especially today when I heard her quote: "This speaks to a bigger picture here that certainly scares me in terms of our national security policies. But obviously we've gotta stand with our North Korean allies--we're bound to by treaties ... "  She said this on Glenn Beck's show on Fox news today.  Glenn of course corrected her, we are allies with South Korea, not North Korea.  I was shocked, this is not a little mistake, but a huge blunder!  If this was her only mistake, it would be okay with me, but she seems to make "mistakes" like this on an almost daily basis.  President Bush made many mistakes, but he didn't make them on a daily basis.
 
 
President Bush gets a really good look at our Troops!

There was also Sarah's tweet from July 18, 2010 that was meant to equate her use of words with literary genius: "'Refudiate,' 'misunderestimate,' 'wee-wee'd up.' English is a living language. Shakespeare liked to coin new words too. Got to celebrate it!'"  Okay, does Shakespeare's "This above all: to thine own self be true". - Hamlet (Act I, Scene III), equal "It's you touch my kids and this mama grizzly is going to rise up, and I'm going to react sometimes in a caustic way, and that's going to get the left all wee-weed up and I'm going to give them what they wanted" (Greta Van Susteren"On the Record" 11/23/2010)?  Sarah you are just, as you often say, a regular person.  You are not a literary genius; you are not Shakespeare.  But then again, neither am I. 

But I do know that Africa is not a country.



There was an interesting article in the New York Times Magazine from November 21, 2010 titled "The Rouge Room", or "how the G.O.P.'s leading shadow candidate runs her guerrilla organization",  by
Robert Draper:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/21/magazine/21palin-t.html?_r=1&ref=magazine

As much as I admire Sarah's spiritualism and her love for family, Country, nature and running, I can't see her as President of the United States.  I have this picture in my mind of a peaceful, gentle deer walking onto the White House lawn.  The doors to the White House burst open and out runs President Palin, dressed in a camouflage, carrying a rifle.  KABOOM..the deer falls over dead.  President Palin yells "Todd, I just bagged a wild deer, get out here and drag him into the kitchen.  Then cut him up; we'll eat him raw, just like we do in Alaskie!" (I am not making this up, there are many areas of the world where people eat raw meat such as Reindeer or caribou.  Bart Yasso, for example,  refers to this in his book
My Life On The Run, page180.)

I will not say that I will never vote for her, because in my life I have said "I would never!", but after time I did.  Perhaps I will change my mind because there are many things I like about Sarah, but for now I do not see her as Presidential material.

Hope I haven't offended anyone, I hope I do not lose any friends because of this post, but we do live in a free world and can vote for whoever we want.  I am grateful for that freedom!

I would love to hear your opinion!

I am so thankful that I live in a Democracy, that I have a loving family, wonderful friends and good health.  I wish everyone a Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving!

No comments: