Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Uncomplicated Life

I am watching one of my favorite movies, To Kill A Mocking Bird.  This movie reminds me of growing up in Califon, New Jersey in the 1950's through the 1970's.  Life was much simpler then, no cell phones, no "world wide web", just a telephone operator named Mary and party lines (where you shared phone lines with another family).  Heck, we didn't even have stop signs in Califon when I started learning to drive in the early 1970's!

I think I grew up in the best town, I felt like everyone in Califon was part of my family. I was never scared, never felt alone.  I didn't need "911", if I was in trouble someone would come to my rescue or call for help; I know because it happened many times.

The Blizzard of 1958.  Our Spaniel is following me in this picture (that is an out-house on the far right; some people didn't have indoor toilets back then).

Christmas in Califon with my cousins ( I am on the far right).


We lived our lives, not through reality shows, not through social web-sites...if we couldn't telephone each other, we sent letters.  My wonderful Aunt Alma, who is an incredible woman, once sent me writing paper and a self-addressed stamped envelope because she thought I was just so busy and didn't have time to buy new writing paper (why else wouldn't I have written her?).  There is something special about taking the time to hand-write a letter; it means that you care enough about the person.

I think that is why I love running; it is a simple exercise.  You only need a pair of running shoes and you are off!  There are some people who advocate running barefoot! 

I love simplicity; I just want to live life without any complications.

No comments: