Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Aunt Mamie says, "Ladies don't run"!

I started this Blog because I wanted to document my journey back to being "a runner".  I have always loved running.  I have vivid memories from childhood of running through the streets of Califon, down River Road to the Ken Lockwood Gorge.  Growing up in little Califon New Jersey was paradise!  This little one square mile town nestled in a valley had every thing a child could wish for...a town that was like an extended family and the beautiful countryside that offered endless hours of adventure!

My Aunt Mamie, my Grandmother's Helen Geist's older sister, was a tremendous influence in my life.  She was 80 years old when I was born and very Victorian in her views.  When I was very young, about 4 1/2 years old, I wiped my nose on my tee shirt in front of her; she was horrified and insisted I come to her house at least once a week for what I called my "lady lessons".  So for over a year I walked up the hill to Aunt Mamie's house for my lessons.  She taught me to read from a large King James Version Bible.  I loved the way she would close her eyes as I read, mouthing the words to the bible verses she knew by heart.  She also taught me to walk like a lady with a book balanced on my head, how to sit properly, how to set the table and how to make some simple dishes.


I must admit, she was the most beautiful woman I have ever seen.  My mother told me Aunt Mamie was a beautiful woman when she was young; large eyes, ivory skin and red curly hair.  When I looked at Aunt Mamie I always saw a young, beautiful woman with flaming red hair pulled up on a bun on her head; a young woman full of intelligence, wisdom and faith.  Aunt Mamie married an older Elston Beaty towards the end of the 19th century, who would become the first Mayor of Califon, New Jersey.
My Great Aunt Mamie, she is the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. 

There was a winding staircase that went from the kitchen to the bedroom in her house.  I was to walk up and down the staircase balancing the book on my head to learn to hold myself properly; to walk like a lady.  I enjoyed this exercise and took it even further; I ran up and down the stair case with the book on my head.  One day Aunt Mamie must have heard my loud footsteps as I ran and she called to me "Little ladies do not run!"  So I stopped; but I have often wondered what she would think of my passion for running.  I like to think that in secret she would enjoy the fact that I ventured further than she thought would be possible for a woman of her time.

A recent picture of the house that Aunt Mamie and Uncle Elston built in Califon, New Jersey.

Here is to reaching further than thought possible...dream big...dream from your heart and may all your dreams come true!

No comments: