Monday, December 27, 2010

SNOW RUNNING!


There was a fierce snow storm across the State of New Jersey yesterday into this morning that left many people shoveling out from under of a whole lot of snow; over 2 feet in some areas.


My office was closed, so I took my time shoveling out the driveway. I planned on a quiet morning of catching up on reading the New York Times, a 3 mile run on the treadmill in the afternoon and finishing up reading Keith Richard's autobiography Life (I am loving this book, it is written just like he talks!).

Well, the day didn't exactly go as planned. When I started my car there was that darn "check engine" light on! I called the Service Department at the Toyota Dealer and they said not to worry, that it is safe to drive the car. I made an appointment to take my 2009 Toyota Corolla in to be checked on Thursday (wonder how much that is going to cost!).

Later, I was only a tenth of a mile into my run when the darn treadmill belt popped. There is no way I can fix it so I will have to call a service repairman to come to the house to repair it ( wonder how much that is going to cost!).

I was so annoyed, nothing was going as planned and I had to get my run in today. I changed into my running tights, wind pants, turtleneck, fleece, windbreaker and Trailheads hat and headed off to the park. It was 26 degrees with 30 mph winds, but the sun was shining! The park was only plowed into the entrance area, the rest of the roads and trails were unplowed. I noticed there were a couple cross country skiers on one of the trails so I took off running down the road. I have never run on unplowed roads or trails before (as an adult), but friends have described it as being similar to running on sand. It was similar, but I felt I had more traction in the snow. It was glorious! I loved running through the fields and the trails; some parts were barely snow covered while other areas were almost a foot deep. I felt like a little kid! I didn't mind the wind blowing the snow into my face at times; it actually felt refreshing. Forty-five minutes later I finished my run feeling exhilarated and energized! I forgot just how much fun it is to run in the snow!


It seemed there for a while that the day was not going to be the best, but it turned out to be a day full of adventure and fun!  I love running in the snow!









1 comment:

Teamarcia said...

Nice! I too love the snow. There's a serene yet exhilarating, almost Godly quality to it.
Hope the car and mill repairs are quick and not too costly.