Sunday, December 5, 2010

Bears

Tomorrow is the start of New Jersey's six day bear hunt.  Bear hunting is allowed in part of Vorhees State Park where I run, so My Bear is in danger!  I walked around the trails at Vorhees this afternoon; no sight of My Bear.  I truly hope that the temperature remains sub-freezing and My Bear stays in his den.

Such gentle creatures; but the press in New Jersey has tried to demonize them  preparation for the bear hunt.  The press portray them as vicious beasts eating some one's chickens, breaking into homes, killing innocent pets (even if the pets are the aggressors), etc.  Some of these claims are not proven; many could have been caused by other animals like coyotes and foxes.  If we look at the facts, humans are more dangerous than bears. 
Picture of a young black bear much like My Bear (Hikerphoto.com).

Hunting permits were issued for twice the number of hunters as there are estimated bears in the state.  These gentle creatures are not our enemies!   I know there is nothing I can do but hope that My Bear is okay, I will just worry until Sunday!

No comments: