Thursday, August 4, 2011

Age is Just a Number

I really am sorry that I have been so down and out lately...but I do struggle at times.  I love my son and I miss him, but I will continue to live my life to the fullest, including embracing myself as I age.

I sometimes I feel as though I am 25...then I look in the mirror.  I am not 25...not 35..not 45...I am 58.  I want to think I do not look my age, but in the scheme of things, does it matter?

I live in a country where I can freely express my opinion and practice my religion.  I may be facing a tremendous hardship handling my mother's affairs, but I am able to feed myself and I have a job.  I run, hike and mountain bike in the most beautiful countryside that exists in the world.

In comparison to many people in this world, I am blessed indeed!  I am truly a very lucky lady!

I could not help but be repulsed by an article I saw on  the Internet this afternoon.  It was about Jane Fonda..the work-out Guru of the 1980s who said she would never get plastic surgery..she would "age gracefully".  Back then I thought she was such a role model.  I have since changed my opinion.  There are many now who still consider her to be a "traitor" from back in the 1970s: http://www.snopes.com/military/fonda.asp.  It seems now that all she cares about is herself...about being "sexy"..ugh..since when is plastic surgery "sexy"?  Maybe it is just me, but she looks disgusting to me. 



A 73 year old surgically made to look....50? 

There are some incredible women who have embraced life, living it to the fullest and enjoying each decade as though they were an Oscar Award for "a life well lived".  One is Lauren Hutton; a beautiful model, actress and activist.  She looks great, without plastic surgery.  Her love of life shines; she is absolutely beautiful! 

Lauren Hutton at age 66 without any plastic surgery; she looks fabulous!

I want to embrace all stages of life, enjoying good food, good friends, a wonderful family, running, biking, hiking and so much more!  I want to make a difference in other people's lives; after all we need to take care of one another.  Life is so fleeting and that is all the more reason to make sure all our actions count...not towards our selfish needs, but towards the best for all.

No comments: