Monday, August 29, 2011

Important Things in Life!

The past week in the northeast has brought us an earthquake and hurricane Irene.  For me, it also brought a week of illness of  high fevers, ear aches, sore throat, nausea, muscle aches and a cough.  Fortunately I am feeling better.  Tonight I went for my first run in over a week.  I ran 2 miles very slowly and carefully..but I ran the 2 miles feeling pretty strong.   It didn't matter that I was slow because running is such a joy for me!  I am grateful for every day I am able to get out there and run.  Not everyone has the ability to run even if they have the desire.

I thought a lot over the past week about my husband Tom.  He died 3 years ago from liver cancer...we know it was cancer even though the death certificate says liver disease; we never had a biopsy of his liver.  There was no point, he was dying and a biopsy would have been too painful and too risky.

Tom was the love of my life.  He was handsome and so charming.  I had never met anyone like him before in my life.  He made me feel like I was someone special.  I was no longer responsible for a sister who was mentally ill.  I was no longer someone that had to take care of someone..I was loved and cared for...I was truly happy!  We were married in my parent's back yard on June 9, 1973.  It was the happiest day of my life.

My handsome Tom as a young Marine during the Vietnam War.

Things went bad for so many reasons..most of them ridiculous..but it is now "water over the bridge".  We divorced in 1975; I always thought of him and wished we would somehow be together again.

After our precious son Tommy died, Tom and I reconnected and remarried.  We had the most wonderful time together.  We knew that Tommy had something to do with our reunion.  When we stood before the Judge, we both felt Tommy was there to witness our marriage the second time around.

Tom and I were partners..we loved each other.  We went to Califon New Jersey to take care of my mother after her stroke.  We had the best time taking walks, feeding "the animals"(the squirrels, birds and deer), and caring for our precious grandson Alex on the weekends. 

Then it came time for us to say goodbye; we were together the morning he passed.

I still love him so much.  I am so grateful that we had our time together.  Not everyone has time like we had.   It was a gift that I carry with me each day.  Life is fleeting..each second is precious.

Too many lives were lost over the past week.  Life is a great gift, I never want to take one second for granted.  I sometimes worry about this generation that seems to want instant fame via YouTube..or other avenues on the Internet.  I would say to them, life is not lived in an instant...it is lived over a lifetime.  Nurture your ambition..your talent...like a fine wine.  Believe me, you will always want to be younger than you are today...stop thinking about age...think instead about your life dreams.  You will accomplish them if you abandon conventional thinking and listen to your heart.  Don't waste the time you have been given, there are no second chances.

No comments: