Monday, August 1, 2011

Six Years

I ran 2.5 miles at Vorhees State Park tonight after a huge thunderstorm.  The woods were wet and the trail was soft, not muddy.  I felt tired and sluggish at first, but after the first half mile I gained momentum.  I probably could have run further, but the air was still heavy and humid and I just didn't want to go any longer!

I feel as though I fail when I do not meet my mileage goals for the week.  I forget sometimes that we cannot always plan our days perfectly...life sometimes leads us to detours.  I had my detour this past week.

Let it suffice to say that I wish I could be released from taking care of my mother's estate.  There are too many people wanting their piece of her and too little that are understanding.  If I had known I would be dealing with this during the worst Recession since the Great Depression, I may not have said "yes" to being my mom's POA.  I am praying for this situation to be resolved.

This past weekend...July 30th..was the 6th anniversary of my son Tommy's death.  He died instantly in a car accident on Old Mill Road near Califon, New Jersey at 5:14 pm.  He was my right arm...my precious child.  I have learned to get up in the morning and get through each day, but the pain of his loss never leaves me.  My heart cries for him and my soul pines.  I miss him all the time.

I started running again in  his memory.  He would ride his bike as I ran back in the 1970's.  Shortly before he died he started running again and wanted me to join him.  I always think of him as I run.


Tommy, a handsome young man!

I am always planning on running a half-marathon or marathon..but I just peter out part way through the training.  Maybe the timing isn't right...maybe I need to reach out and join a running club for support.  I just know that I need to take a hard look at myself and make some changes...without beating myself up for not reaching the goals I thought I should reach.

I forget that I have come so far..and I can continue to move forward, maybe a little slower than originally hoped!

No comments: