Monday, February 21, 2011

I am a Civil Servant!

I am a Civil Servant employee of the State of New Jersey.  When I started 30 years a go I was a Social Worker I at a Development Center.  Over the years I went from a Social Worker at the Developmental Center to a Social Worker at Adult Training Centers, to a Case Manager monitoring individuals placed in group homes, skills homes, etc. to a Case Management Supervisor.  I love my work..it is incredibly rewarding!  I wouldn't change the past 30 years for anything!

But 30 years ago I was required to sign up for a pension plan..I dutifully signed up and contributed to this plan.  I wanted to brake out on my own and get a 401K plan, but I was not able to do this since I was obligated to be part of the state of NJ pension plan.  I was robbed of my chance to orchestrate my own retirement plan.  Now that I am approaching retirement age I am being painted as a "pampered state employee" who has been given too many perks.

Well,..I have worked diligently for the state of NJ..I have worked hundreds of times through my lunch hours..never taking my Union negotiated two 15 minute brakes..so I could get my job done!  I am dedicated and believe that I, and many others, have made a difference in many people's lives, in spite of minimum funding.  We care deeply about the individuals and families we serve...people who would be without anything if it weren't for our efforts.

I have given my all over the past 30 years, I have contributed to my pension plan, while the "elected officials" have declined to make their obligated contribution.  Now I am being blamed for their short-coming.  I will not sit still for this.  I want what is due me...I have been a dedicated employee...I deserve my pension!  I think the politicians...even if they are newly elected, should forfeit their salaries for the pension fund, after all they and their predecessors are responsible for the short-fall with the pension fund.

Shame on you the Governor of Wisconsin!  May the people take back their state...if your were to run for governor today, you would not be elected! 

And shame on you Chris Christie, how dare you target the soul of New Jersey..the public servants like me...we have dedicated our lives to serving the people of the state of NJ...and we have accomplished so much in the face of limited funding, limited resources.

Thank goodness I have my running to help ward off my aggravation.  Governor Christie, by the looks of him, would be better if he took up a good, consistent exercise regiment too.  Lazy men make lazy decisions...President Obama is a man who takes care of himself...a man who cares deeply about people, he is not a lazy man...Chris Christie could learn a lot from President Obama!

No comments: