Saturday, February 5, 2011

I am not a "senior citizen"!

Yesterday was my son Tommy's birthday.  It is a sad day for me; he passed away six years ago.  He was my first born; a brilliant child. 

Losing a child is the worst thing that can happen, believe me I know.  I have  been in several car accidents where I suffered painful injuries, hospitalized for illnesses, lived with a family member diagnosed with severe mental illnesses and cared for two family members who passed after a prolonged terminal illness...losing a child is the most painful experience I have ever endured.  One never recovers from the loss of a child.

For the past six years I have observed Tommy's birthday by going to the movies; something we always did.  Yesterday, I stood in line at the movie theatre among a bunch of  what I considered "old people" ordering "senior tickets".  When it was my turn to order a ticket I said "one for The King's Speech".  The kid ( couldn't be under 17 years old) punched out a ticket...a "senior ticket"!  I was so upset, but didn't want to draw attention to myself so I said nothing.  Now I think that I should have said something..I am not old enough to be a "senior"!  I hoped my lax in confronting "the kid" didn't equal stealing from the the theatre.

No, I did not steal.  The "kid" should have asked me if it was a "senior ticket". 

I feel so sad that I looked that old.  Do I always look that old, or did I look that old because I was crying all night?  No matter what, I felt doubly sad. 

Today I was determined to get back on track.  I ran 7 miles on the treadmill, running slowly so my hip would not rebel.  This week I ran 20:44 miles pain free! 

I am not 25 years old, but I am not 60 years old either!  I have regrets..the most being withdrawing from Columbia University and enrolling at Fordham.  Not that Fordham is bad, but Columbia is much better.  I should have ignored the minimal negatives at the time and forged ahead.  I deserved Columbia; I was an "ace" student!


                                           
                                                      Columbia University

I reject "senior" status...I am a "ace" no matter what..age does not define me.  Yes, I cannot slow time, but
I can continue to pursue those things that are important to me.  Age is a number and it will not force limitations on me!  No one should ever accept limitations imposed from the outside.  We are capable of so much, no matter what age we are...believe in yourself, you can achieve all your dreams; just believe!

POST NOTE:  I went to the same movie theatre with my son Steve on 2/13/11 and they did not give me a senior ticket..so I guess the guy must have hit the "senior" button because everyone around me was a "senior"...I feel better now!

1 comment:

Teamarcia said...

Big, big hugs Noel! I'm sure making it thru Tommy's birthday made the senior ticket that much more raw. Do not give the ticket persons lack of judgement another thought. You are who you are and you are beautiful at every age.
BTW thank you sooooo much for your generous donation to the Giraffy fund. I appreciate it so much!
Heres to a great week ahead!