Sunday, February 27, 2011

I am Not a Movie Star

I am not in my twenties...not in my thirties or forties...and I am not a movie star.  I am a woman who feels twenty, with thirty years of experience.  I look in the mirror and see wrinkles..I wish sometimes they weren't there.. but they are.  I get upset that every picture of me lately has two chins...what is with that?

Oh no, another double chin picture!

I will watch the Oscar's Red Carpet tonight dreaming of what I would wear if I were to be part of the Oscars.  But the truth is, I will probably never be part of anything like the Oscars, and I will never have to worry about walking down the red carpet.
But......
I would love to be twenty again knowing what I know now.  To do it all over again...to love when I didn't, to be there when I wasn't, to say "I love you" when I forgot.
I think that is why I had to run again.  I had to get something back that was so important to me.  There are so many things that we cannot change, even though we want desperately to got back and do it over.  There are rarely any second chances.  Tom and I had a second chance and we grabbed it...living it to the fullest of our ability.
I congratulate the winners of tonight's Academy Awards, but I feel so removed from Hollywood.  I am glad that I am not glued to being twenty forever..that I can move forward and take pride in my wrinkles and my double chin.  I can live life to the fullest comfortable with who I am, without worrying about how the public views me. 
I am a daughter, a mother, a grammie, a friend, an aunt, a social work supervisor and a runner...I am a person who looks forward to the life I have left, living it to the fullest!

My grandson Alex, the "Hockey Player", he is the joy of my life!

2 comments:

NattyBumpo said...

Right on! I look at the grey in my beard as earned. There *may* be some in my hair, but I think my wife is secretly bleaching my hair at night while I sleep. One of these days I will get a t-shirt made that says, "Older than I look, WAY older than I ACT!!!" It is all about attitude.

There are the occasional event in life where if I could go back I might make a different choice, but I have never regretted the choices I have made, for they got me to where I am. And, I'm kinda happy with that.

Carole said...

Love your blog Noel...and you are so right. I would love to be 10 again...and not know what I know. I miss the innocence.