Monday, March 29, 2010

Tommy

Today I ran my 13 minute run/2minute walk times 2, not including my warm-up and cool-down. I felt good, I had energy. Every time I increase my running time with success I feel like I am on top of the world. But it doesn't always last.
Back on the 70's I would run while my little boy Tommy rode his bike. We would go for miles along River Road through the Ken Lockwood Gorge. He had blond hair cut in a "bowl cut"; his hair would blow back as he rode his bike. Tommy was an adventurer..he loved nature and was a very intelligent child. He was tested by the Child Study Team Psychologist and tests revealed he had an above Genius I.Q.; that was no surprise to me.
While I run, I think of those wonderful days when Tommy was young. His dog Pooh Bear would run with us too. Pooh Bear would jump in the Raritan River every once in a while to cool off. How I wish I could go back..if only for a few minutes!
Tommy died in a car accident on July 30, 2005. I miss him all the time. He had started running again just before he died. He ran and hiked through many New Jersey Parks. He often spoke of us running/hiking together. I am running again not only for me but for Tommy. I am doing what he wanted me to do...find my passion, my passion for running.
I am just starting; I have a long way to go, but every step I take feels like I won the Olympic gold medal..it may not seem like much to others, but it means a lot to me.

No comments: