Thursday, March 18, 2010

Rest

Today is my rest day, so I had time to reflect.
I have longed to run again for many years. When my oldest, Tommy, was a little boy I ran 40-50 miles per week. Many days he would accompany me on his bike and our dog Pooh Bear would tag along. I cherish those memories and long to experience that happiness again. I know that Tommy is not present in this life anymore..neither is Pooh... but they live in my heart and they are very much a part of me. I also know how much Tommy wanted me to get out and run again; he knew that running was important to me. I gave up running because two more children came along in the 1980's within 18 months of each other. Then by 1988 I became a single mom with a 4 year old, a 6 year old and an 14 year old. I just didn't have the time or energy to run. I tried several times to get back to it, but it never lasted. My children's needs and activities became the priority in my life.
Now I am alone for the first time in 36 years and it is time to get back to the things that are important to me. Following the Ten Week Training Plan from Runner's World by Mark Will-Weber (published 10/5/2001) is really important to me. I feel so good that I am able to keep up, and I feel that I can accomplish many more things with my life as a result of this program. Just because I am in my 50's doesn't mean I am "over the hill"...in the contrary..I am "just beginning".

No comments: