Monday, March 15, 2010

Playlists

Today I started week #6 of my Runners World program. I warmed up, then ran 9 minutes, walked 2 minutes times 2. Then I ran 8 minutes and did my cool-down. I was proud of myself: "go Grammie go"! I felt strong in my legs and had energy; not at all winded. I was surprised because usually on Mondays I am exhausted; I have trouble sleeping because I dread going to work Monday morning. Maybe this running thing has some extra benefit for this old chubby Grammie. Maybe today's accomplishment doesn't sound like much to others, but I feel like I just finished a marathon.
It is still stinky wet in New Jersey from all the rain over the weekend. The smell from the cellar (which was full of water and still has to dry out) doesn't make indoor exercise appealing right at the moment...but Grammie will persevere.
I do have a question..what is it with play lists? Back in the 70's when I started running there was no such thing. After all we didn't have cassette/CD players or i-pods, we had to sing. I sang out loud or in my head. I did have a 20lb portable 8-track player but I would have looked pretty silly running down the street lugging that big thing. My favorite song to sing was "The Muffin Man".....yes, I said "The Muffin Man"...remember the words..."Oh do you know the Muffin man, the Muffin Man, the Muffin Man.....". You could sing it fast or slow depending upon your pace. I sang that song over and over again...from anything from a 3 mile to a 12 mile run. I still find myself singing it when I run on the treadmill. I haven't seen the song on any published play lists yet. I also sing "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" and "Jingle Bells".
Tomorrow is my off day...I will be incorporating some strength training...sounds like fun.

No comments: